We all know kids love games. We use them all the time in therapy to motivate and engage; but what about our older students? Those kids who are too cool for Candyland and roll their eyes at Chutes and Ladders. Here are some games that yes, even those super cool 5th grades, and some middle schoolers, will play!
1. Jenga It’s a classic game that does not have a ‘little kid’ quality about it.
2. Apples to Apples Jr. Hide the cover of the box and they will have no idea it is the Jr. edition. This game offers lots of opportunities for language and social skills.
3. Slamwich Kids like card games and this one has a fun twist. The cards are shaped like sandwiches and kids can make gross combinations like a birthday cake and sardine sandwich…yum?
4. Pictionary It is a classic game, you can’t go wrong with drawing. I mean, kids are doodles in their notebooks in class. We might as well put that talent to use.
5. Head’s Up Party Game So yes, this is basically Headbandz but it looks more mature. Most 5th graders will wear the head band that comes with it but they can just as easily hold up the card. You know, so their hair won’t get messed up.
What games or activities do you like to use with older students?