With 2013 fast approaching I have decided this new year will be the Year of the SLP! As professionals we always bring our ‘A’ game, but with so many new resources available to us now I want to challenge myself to kick it up a notch! Instead of a New Year’s Resolution I am creating goals for myself ( I guess I just can’t escape making goals ).
1. Create more activities for my students. By doing this I feel it will challenge me to become more observant to way my student’s learn best, as well as, think outside of the box more.
2. Research and use more Evidence-Based methods with my students. New research is coming out all the time, I want to make sure I am up-to-date with the newest methods that will help me students.
3. Look for more materials from SLP sites and stores like, Teachers Pay Teachers to support fellow professionals. Although the big companies have great materials, that I do have quite a bit of, sometimes there is just no comparison for the activities that another colleague can develop.
4. Use the iPad more during therapy. Ok this may be a bit contradictory to goal #3 but in my mind its not. I want to find more ways, whether it be apps or reinforcement, to engage and challenge my students.
5. Add at least one Quick Tip to ‘The Speech Bubble’ a week.
Ok, so they are not SMART goals, but they are the guidelines that I am going to use to make 2013 the Year of the SLP!
What are you going to you do to make this the Year of the SLP?